Monday, May 14, 2012

Rx for my "Case of the Mondays"

Because it's apparent to me that I have now gotten myself into a situation in which I don't understand either of the books I'm chewing through (Dynamics of Faith or N.T. Wright's How God Became King), and because visiting grandparents is conducive to neither reading lay theology or completing thoughtful blog postings, I'm going to hold off on my cross v. kingdom musings and include some unambiguously happy stories today:

1. The Argentine Miracle Baby is still alive!

2. The CAMBA Kids are marching to save their afterschool program! So touching I'm not even going to use any bad words if you ask me why they have to march to save said program when five similar programs were funded in Park Slope (home of the ubiquitous stay-at-home-mom-who-still-has-a-nanny and the PTA-funded after school programs).

3. Laura Dominguez, who is quadriplegic, is able to move again thanks to adult stem cell research (they took cells from her sinus cavity and are regrowing her spine). Find out how to help support continued stem cell research here.

4. Not only will Seun Adebiyi survive his blood cancer, he's setting up a donor registry so other people of African descent can, too.

5. In a large part due to donations from New York Times readers, this guy and doctors like him can now repair women's fistulas in West Africa. If you want to donate to the Worldwide Fistula Fund and help moms (most of whom have lost at least their most recent babies) not be left out for the hyenas to eat because they smell bad, go here.

Also: btw, two weeks left of higher ed administering, after which I am committed to not talking about Teach for America for at least a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment