Saturday, April 28, 2012

not ideas about the thing but the thing itself

It struck me recently that, in my anxiety about whether or not I believe, I'm not exactly clear what I'm trying to believe in. There are a lot of ideas of God in circulation, maybe always, but especially now. A friend of mine who is an atheist carries around a very particular image of the God he doesn't believe in, one he claims is dominant in our society: it has never occurred to me to believe in that “God”, either. But when I actually read the Gospels, it occurs to me that my idea of God, and Christ in particular, may be so limited that for all intents and purposes it is no more meaningful than my friend's.

Here are some things I'm pretty sure Christ wasn't: a model for how we should live, a solution for everyone's problems, a get-out-of-jail-free card with respect to the law. What He was – is – and what He's offering is harder for me to work out. He said Follow me and Believe in me, but: follow Him where, and believe what? That He's real, that He's God? That the resurrection really happened? Is deciding that those things are true going to transform my life? Because I grew up believing that, and judging from the parched nature of my life much of the time, the water Jesus is talking about must be something different from what I grew up drinking.

However: in college and grad school, I wrote papers on the nature of poetry: how poems gesture towards something other than what they are saying. Lately, I've been thinking that the Gospel works the same way. The words we have at our disposal can only set the stage for the Word that they are trying to talk about; they can't contain it. Reading them doesn't so much tell you what God is as it provides a starting point, a place from which you can begin the work of opening yourself to ghost in its particular machine.

I think this is why people who have no real interest in God or Christ can read the Bible and not feel anything powerful in it, can get caught up in the ways in which it doesn't function well as history (it doesn't) and doesn't really answer a lot of legitimate questions about God (nope). Like prayer or church or the 12 steps, the Bible can bring you closer to God, to the Gospel, but it's not a substitute for experiencing Him/It. Jesus deals in absolutes for a reason. Engaging the divine isn't easy, a thing you accumulate along with your career, hobbies, friends. It's meant to consume you, to take over, to permeate every other area of your identity and life.

This terrifies me because it seems to indicate a conflict between my relationship with God and the other relationships I have -- with my husband, my parents, my son. I don't want my faith to supersede my love for other people, and it seems like the natural conclusion of what Christ is saying here is that it must.

But that same atheist friend is also polyamorous, and in his experience, loving more than one woman actually enriches his other relationships. While I work hard to not have an opinion on polyamory, I am willing to shamelessly employ it here as a paradigm. It seems reasonable that a love for God would enrich my love for people rather than supplanting it, that by loving God more, I access a source of love that runs over into other parts of my life -- so that instead of grasping at the people who matter to me and finding I've somehow missed out on what is most essential about them, I can love them without being afraid to lose them or mixing up what I love in them with what I want from them. I can recognize that they are like God in the sense that I can't contain or limit or define them; I can only hope to approach them, to come close enough to know them, rather than my ideas about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment